We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 8 February 2009

When was the Stone Age ????

I have spent all day today trying to find out when the Stone Age was to start a history timeline for the site. I realised I was quoting lots of periods in time without knowing for certain when they were myself so thought it would be a good idea to post one.

What started as a simple query ended up becoming a bit of an obsession as every site I went on gave different dates with some waffling on about flints but never actually giving a date. I know it happened and eventually resorted to the good old Time Team site. Now I can hear a sharp intake of breath but it is just a guide and not written in stone.

The other thing is my visitor counter is going nuts (not that I'm complaining), its gone from 34 to 202 this week but I'm convinced its down to Google trying to locate my site as I'm still not listed. I have a carrier pigeon on standby just in case!

My next task is to try and sort out the jumble that is Thornton Hall or should I say Halls as it moved. Thornton Hall was originally where Thornton Hall Farm is today although on some maps it lists 2 Thornton Halls at once. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    The Stone Age, strictly speaking, can be broken into several distinct parts, those being the paleolithic (a long, long time ago...and difficult to put a precise date to), the neolithic (about 4000-2000 BC) and the mesolithic (about 8,500-4000 BC), although these dates differ in various parts of the world, because everyone developed at a different rate. Basically the stone age covered a very, very long period of time.

    Re your counter going up...it might have something to do with the link I put for you. Then again it might not...I'm not that well up on the behaviour of counters.

    As for Thornton Hall, originally it stood where Thornton Hall Farm stands nowadays (as you said), but a new Thornton Hall (a couple of fields away) was built either in the late Georgian or early Victorian period...can't remember which off hand. Part of one of the outbuildings at the farm still seems to contain sandstone blocks no doubt belonging to one of the monastic granges that upset Adam Banastre so much back in the 14th century that he felt it necessary to batter and imprison the Prior of Lancaster.

    I'm full of knowledge, me. All of it's useless, unfortunately...but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian

    Thanks for putting the link in for me I hadn't thought of that .. it was going nuts yesterday.

    In the end I sort of lumped the Stone/Bronze/Iron Age all into Prehistoric Britain. If you spot any glaring mistakes on the History Timeline let me know.

    Am still trying to get my head round Thornton Hall and the Banastre's are a bit of a handful aren't they! Am ploughing through some serious books and making lots of notes at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from Perth Western Australia....
    Wow, what a lovely surprise to know that our Thomas Smith born 1819/1820 & I, have inspired you, far across the sea to start this project & site. Well done & a big "thank you"
    for the information on your amazing site. I am enjoying the knew knowledge about the stone age... and the different positions of Thornton Hall over the time. Best of luck & I will keep watching from afar. with great interest.
    Regards Laura Player - Perth Western Australia

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM