We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Friday 20 February 2009

Dykes in Thornton ...

Gosh where did that week go ?

It's Friday again and I've just had one of the worst things that can happen to a girl .. went to crack the seal on my drink of choice ( a very small bottle I might add ) and the top just span round and round and wouldn't come off! I thought through all the practical things to do and then just stabbed the top with a very big knife (don't try this at home unless desperate). It's such a shame because now I will have to drink it all or it will evaporate.
http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-84.gif
Anyway I have added a google map showing the dykes in Thornton (keep it clean) which I will keep adding to as and when I spot them.

I've also started to investigate Thornton for Cleveleys Railway Station and have also added a map for that showing the current and the original route. Am a bit confused as on the 1847 OS map it shows the railway going into what appears to be the sea across the entrance to the dock at Fleetwood but I can only put down what I see. I missed an old Railway Ticket for sale on e-bay yesterday which I would have got for the site. James posted the other night that he worked for a time at Poulton's Old Railway Station on the Breck opposite the Royal Oak. I didn't know it had moved but it did.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

How to post a comment

A

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Mike

    I will go over and have a look on the other forum. Am trying to keep the site quite light but want to add links for more in-depth info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh. Just trying to join the other forum and it's a right pallarva .. had to reset my password already as it won't let me on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have had problems on that forum myself part of the reason i started my own. and there is a lot of politics over there as well.

    each to there own i suppose as you say i prefer to keep things light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Forum I carnt Log on either, keep getting transfered to a Google site,(May be a secret society?)
    RE; the railway station at the bottom of the breck,in the 1940s i was an appentice Tin Smith to a Reg Gardner whos premises was in one half of the old station at the bottom of the Breck,opposite Station Rd,Presumably thats how it got its name.The other Half (EX waiting rooms))was a little sweets and tobacco shop run by a Mrs Barlow
    at that time the track ran though a cut to Preston Farmers Mill which was were until recently the health club stood, there was archway through to a platform at the rear of the station, every weekday at noon a man with a red flag would stand in the middle of the road and coal waggons would be shunted across the road to the rear of the station were the coal merchants would bag it up as i remember one of the coal merchants was called Balderstone.At Thornton Station the Coal yard was to the north of the platform were there was a spur with a set of buffers the coal waggons were left there for the coal merchants to bag it up.i remember 2 of them Rileys (Lived at the bottom of Lesley Ave,)and Bill Brown (Horse and Cart) who lived on Lawsons RD ( the house at the entrance to the caravan site.) not Ga Ga just have a good memory

    ReplyDelete
  5. James

    If you mean this forum: http://thorntoncleveleys.freeclubforums.com

    it's run by Michael who posted above you and I'm sure he will sort it out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry my first comment didn't go on.

    You have a great memory James and some great information. I will add them in to the Railway section when I post it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re- the forum if it is my forum i have to say i have no idea why it would re-direct to a google site. unless it happened to me i would have no idea as to how to correct it.

    i will try further investigation however .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that James .. I will check the old maps to see exactly where it ran (lots of houses built over features now!) so I can put it on the map.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM