We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 26 February 2009

Barrett's 1910 Directory ...

I've added the 1910 directory today and it's amazing how many people and tradesmen and women came to Thornton between 1892 and 1910. A lot of the tradesmen have a 'j' after their name eg: 'joiner (j.), cooper (j.),' and I can't find out what it means so if anybody knows I'll steal your answer and pretend it's my own (kidding).

Am late tonight as was stood losing the will to live in the queue in the Kentucky in Cleveleys which seems to only employ special people and I don't mean that in a nice way!


How to post a Comment
A

4 comments:

  1. That 'J'...perhaps it stands for 'just arrived'...or then again, perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be Juror (qualified to serve on a Jury)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if it was something to do with being a time served apprentice but even the gardeners have it after their occupations. That also rules out my theory of it being to do with everyone working at the Works as I can't see them needing gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystery solved !

    It stands for journeyman:

    "One who, having served his apprenticeship to a handicraft or trade, is qualified to work at it for days' wages; and works at it not on his own account but as the servant or employee of another."

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM