We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Wednesday 25 February 2009

Google Earth Ocean ...

I'm busy at the moment typing up Barrett's 1910 Directory for Thornton and it's amazing how the population increased when The Alkali Company came. There was one entry which made me smile - a Mr Fairclough who was a 'joiner and undertaker' .. talk about cutting out the middle man !! I'll hopefully get it on tomorrow.

Now to Google Earth Ocean. I got really excited when I saw that you could now go into the sea and see the seabed so I downloaded Google Earth last night in great anticipation of going in search of pre-roman ports and Singleton Thorpe off Cleveleys beach. But, it is so slow and I never once managed to get under the surface of the water. It's really interesting to view Thornton from different angles though. I ended up taking it off my computer as it seemed to slow everything down. If anybody else has managed to go into the sea please let me know how the flippin eck you did it !

I've found a great site today for editing your photo's which is free (a word I like) and extremely easy to use. You have to register but you don't have to give loads of info.

Click on the link to try it out ...
Picnik

How to post a Comment
A

4 comments:

  1. Melanie, google earth i have tried it several times and as you say it slowed an all ready slow computer to a stand still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a very parochial person. I find it easier to catch the tram than to use Google Earth. When it comes to searching underwater, a snorkle, some flippers and a willing student usually suffices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounded really great but was pants to use. I was on it for hours and ended up 631 miles in space looking at the moon when I was supposed to be at the bottom of the ocean !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a Frank Fairclough Joiner and builder lived on Woodhouse Rd, he also had large green houses were the bungalows are now.He built the 3 bed semi's on Tarn Rd, and the 2 pair of semi's on the corner of School Rd,(Bottom of New Lane)we lived in the 1st one,until 1941.( a bit for your Railway Blog)the 2nd signalman from Thornton crossing Lived next door, the head signal man Jack Singleton lived in the large house across the Rd from The Bay Horse.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM