We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 17 March 2009

Thornton Gala ...

Am posting a bit earlier tonight as am off to the Beach with the dog before tea .. this nice weather does funny things and makes you want to get out and about. Am feeling positively Spring-like. Talking of walking the dog and the beach, The Fylde Coast Marine Life Project are looking for recorders at the moment to help identify which species live along our coast and get them on the map as very little is known. If you fancy having a go you can download one of their forms at the website above.

The answer to this weeks quiz was ...

The Old Bank - Four Lane Ends












The winner was Mike once again .. congrats
...please note the police wagon in the background who looked on with suspicion as I took photos of walls like a nut!

I've added a few more pictures today. In Baines Endowed a picture of classmates in 1936. In the Gallery 2 pictures of Thornton Gala 1907 and 1909 .. now these were proper processions. I remember as a girl (not that long ago I might add) when the procession used to gather in Sandringham Avenue where my Nana lived. We'd all go down and it was quite a site and buzzing with excitement. Am not sure whether it's just not as exciting now or I have got old!

A

9 comments:

  1. I'm completely embarassed. I should have recognised the bank photograph. It was the false perspective what threw me, officer. I'm off for a brew and to hang my head in shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bone to pick with you Mr Hughes .. I went into the chippie today and your sister is the same height as me! Short indeed ;-) She was really busy so didn't unmask myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also ventured into the said chippy a short {no pun intended} while ago, but never saw your sister Brian. as far as the quiz goes i knew it instantly just one of those thinks i suppose.

    had a busy day today so i deserve a small drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got it, though I Posted it on here (knowing my proficiency with PCs,it will probably end up on the 10 O'clock news,) One of daughters told me to look at 4 lanes end,shes not lived here very long,Note.must go to Spec Save,or get out of the car more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re the Gala, Baines Endowed entered every year,remember it well the whole class sat on one of Silcocks haycarts Festooned in Coloured crepe paper always rained colour running down our faces.There was a prize for best turned out horse,Silcock would spend the day prior to the parade grooming a horse,Bill Brown the coalman would be working until 5pm the friday before and always won,the horse knew every house it had to stop at and would walkon on its own,some customers gave him a slice of bread, and he would;nt move on until he got one.
    I'll Just add this Cockle Hall got its name because there used to be an outflow pipe outside and there was supposed to be a cockle bed there.The shell of cockle Hall was still standing in the mid 40s,used to be a favourite place for courting couples. Ah I remember it well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall never think of Cockle Hall the same again. My late dad moved to Thornton in 1930 at the age of 7 so I hope he wasn't overly familar with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie,

    I'm surprised you could see her over the counter then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheeky so and so. I've no idea what she looks like its just fingers and the top of the head I see

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi James

    Apologies but it will be tomorrow when it goes on the site now .. my email has been playing up all day and don't want to look at the computer again today !

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM