We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 30 July 2009

The Knife and Dagger ...

I still haven't managed to find anything out about the old pub featured in the Sunday Quiz. It's beginning to look like it was only a pub from c1900 to 1940/5. On the Land Registry document it shows a change to the deeds on 31st December 1940 so perhaps this was when it changed. Andy is hot on the heels and is going to do some more digging to see if he can come up with an answer. I've found a doc listed at the Records Office which lists all the licencees in Amounderness from 1896-1958 so maybe that will be able to throw up some more details. It seems strange that they built it and then it went out of use so quickly though. I know there was another pub at Burn Naze but in those days there were enough people to fill them. I have got my heart set on it being some kind of intrigue with smugglers and murderers (that's what too much tv does to you) .. so hope it didn't just fizzle out.

I've added some more Baines photo's onto the site. Now your eye's don't decieve you .. the 1965 and 1966 pages show the same photo but as it said on the back 1965/66 I put it in both. I'll have the remaining ones up by Sunday.

Now it's been over a month now since Brian from Wyre Archaeology parted company with BT and still no news! Am beginning to think he has done a Lord Lucan. It's strange how his pessimistic sarcasm is missed ;-) I think in the time it's taking he could have set up his own broadband company and floated it on the stock market. I get twitchy if my internet is down for 24 hours!

Just for Fun
Anyone fancy a Stroll ?

A

9 comments:

  1. Hi, H.H., My daughter has seen the 1965/1966 Photo's not her class, only recognises Mr Jackson and Mrs Harris,(Nee Miss Butterworth)

    Maybe Brian is trying to digging to find the end of BT's Broadband cable that links to his PC,

    Re the Pub; I'll ask a Relative of my wife who lived down there at that time, dare'nt phone her now, Corries on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James

    Sorry it wasn't your daughters class in that photo. I have the full school album for that year but can't show it until I get permission unfortunately.

    I can't understand whats taking Brian soo long. I only have a few regular posters on here and he is cutting my percentages by not being here.

    Thanks for asking around about the pub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all im really not getting very far with our knife and dagger problems . ive spoken to several people who were around at that time and im getting so many different tales , that it closed anywhere between 1940 - 1960 . theres a couple of people who i need to speak to who i havnt managed to catch up with yet , who im sure will provide us with more accurate info . but i am on the case !!!! sorry for the delay , regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been speaking to a lady she is 88 and used to live down burn naze, she can,t remember it , but that might not mean a lot. a mistery indeed .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really strange. It's not like it dissapeared 100 years ago. Cheers for asking around Andy.

    Defo going to Records Office next week. Went past it today whilst lost in Preston for 2 hours !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry should have said thanks Mike 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.H.H., My wifes Relative has no recallection of why the Pub closed,theres a couple more Wrinkies I know, I'll ask when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi all , its getting more confusing all the time ! just spoke to an old boy who worked on the ici , and although he didnt come to live round here till the 60s , he reckons when he came . there was all sorts of rumours that there was a MURDER !!!! in the pub thats why it shut . but then that seemed to be poo poo`d !! so at the moment im no nearer getting any real answers . but i still havnt spoken to the two people who i reckon would have a few answers , cant catch em in . but there proper burn naze`s been there all there lives and there in there 80s so might have more luck when i speak to them . cheers regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Andy

    Keep up the good work. I don't have anyone to ask :-( Used to live in John Street but never heard anything about it. I'm thinking more and more that something went on.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM