We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 28 July 2009

The Sunday Quiz ...

Evening All ... Sorry for the late post but have been doing some digging since I started typing this.

I've finally managed to sort through the photo's of Baines Endowed and have put some on the site here. I've got some more ready to go on for Thursday .. I can't put them all on at once or I'll run out of material! I've noted the photo's which have names written on the back but am not going to list them on the site as not everyone wants their name splashed on the internet. Us ladies are well know for knocking the years off so don't want to 'out' anyone :-) If anyone recognises themselves and wouldn't mind me putting their name on then let me know. I still haven't heard back on the other copyright but don't want to pester anyone as am still hoping.


Now for the Quiz ...

Where in Thornton Am I? ... and the Answer is




















The Gym building at Burn Naze .. near BEK Motors

(Now I know it's the same picture but I forgot to take the full photo)

In 1st place ... John
In 2nd place ... Mike
In 3rd place ... Brenda
In 4th place ... Andy



As some of you may or may not know this building was originally a pub (or so I'm told) and a bit of a mystery. It was built some time between 1892 and 1912 but most likely to be 1900. I have checked the Land Registry and there is a conveyance of land between Alfred Nuttall and Thomas Tattersall on 26.10.1899. The name which has been suggested on Brians Forum is the 'Knife and Dagger' .. not a family pub then! It was also mentioned by Andy in an email recently as the 'Hand and Dagger'. Apart from that nothing is known which is surprising as it isn't that old. You would think there would be a photo or somebody would remember it. I don't even know when it stopped being a pub. I do remember my Dad saying that when he first started working for Fleet Builders as a youngish man that they were based there and in the same document from above it lists Fleet Builders in 1968.

Am off to raid Phil's Rossall Beach Site to see if there are any pics on there that can shed some light on it.

A

7 comments:

  1. Have now found a record at the Records Office - Register of Licensed Victuallers' and Beersellers' licences from 1896 - 1953. So if it was a pub it will be listed on there. Another one to add to the list!

    And very sad replying to my own post !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE Bains photos, could possibly know some one on the 1965 and 1966 photos, but unable to log on, my step daughter was there at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James

    I'll get those on before Thursday .. I haven't put the link in for those yet. don't want to add them all at once or I'll have nothing to post but will do those next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi did i say hand and dagger cause i meant to say knife and dagger ! it was a pub , and it closed about 1940/45 according to my mate , ive just text him but its getting towards his bed time . hes an old bugger .(hope he aint reading this ) i`ll get more details off him tomorrow and post the results then . cheers regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andy

    Cheers for that. On the land registry doc there is a change in the deeds dated 31 Decmeber 1940 so maybe this is when it stopped being a pub. I just can't find any reference to it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to add .. it's a short time for it to be a pub. I wonder why it closed down. I'd love it to skullduggery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah snap !! i`ll ask around tomorrow , i know loads of old uns around thornton , who should have some info . ive spoken to a couple in the past who had been regular drinkers in there . although its a year or two ago since i spoke to them about it . strange how a pub would close back then , its not like now with pubs closing on a daily basis , back then pubs were the focal point of the community . see what i can come up with . cheers regards andy

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM