We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 23 July 2009

Baines Endowed and Copyright ...

I'm still scanning in the school photo's from Baines Endowed but unfortunately I'm not sure how many of them I am going to be able to post. The copyright on photo's lasts for 70 years from the death of the photographer which pretty much rules out most of the pics 1940 onwards.

Half of the photo's are copyright to the Gazette and after initially contacting them they have said they will not give permission. I have now sent an email to the editor to see if there is any way round it. The other half are copyright to a company in Blackpool who just produce school photo's and are still going so it's not looking good.

Even if I can't post the actual images I will put a list on the website of the photo's I have and if anyone wants a copy for personal use then I can email it. The restrictions would mean that they couldn't be published anywhere but at least it would help if someone was looking for a specific photo.

The copyright of items is a complete nightmare and I could understand if I was wanting to sell them but I can't see the problem with my just putting them on a local history site. Hopefully the Gazette will come back and giver their permission and I can at least put some on.

I've added some more pics to the Marsh Farm Memory .. in part 3 there is a link at the bottom to some additional photo's.

I'm doing an online backup of my pc at the moment as I have so many files that I would be devasted to lose. It looks like it's going to take a long long time .. almost a month! but it can run in the background. It just means things might be a bit slow when I'm using the pc so please bear with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hello HH

    Re: online backup.. i would not recommend that at all, the best way is to install a 2nd HD in your system and use that as a backup drive. I have used this method for years and found it to be the best, because i have had a few bad system crashes over the years.

    Regards
    John D-A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John

    I've been looking into it for a while and have decided to go for the belt and braces approach and am going for an external HD as well.

    Am going for online as well as a lady on another forum I use spilt a cup of coffee and it ruined her computer and also the external HD as it was sat on top .. nightmare! The reason I'm going for online as well is there are times when I need to access my files and photos when I'm not at home. This way if I'm at the records office I can still refer back to things on my home pc. I've gone with Spideroak which is a well known secure site.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM