We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 26 July 2009

Thornton Photos .. it's complicated

I've now finished scanning in the photo's of Baines Endowed or I should say photographing them. Some of the pictures haven't scanned very well so ended up taking pictures of them which were clearer. The only problem with this was that the pics turned out black and white so have had to edit them individually to tint them back to sepia to keep the original look.

I'm still looking into the copyright but to honest it's not looking good. Copyright on photo's lasts for 70 years from the death of the photographer or the publication date. I still haven't heard back from the Evening Gazette and have sent a letter off today to the other company whose name is on the majority of the albums. If they refuse to allow me to reproduce them then as I understand it I can't pass them on in any way .. even by email which is a crying shame. I was hoping if I couldn't put them on the site that I could put a list up and people could contact me and then I could send pictures to them. Fingers crossed they will both come back and give the go ahead. It would be criminal for me to have all these lovely class photo's with many having all the names written on the back and not be able to share them. I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

The good news is that a few of the pics have no copyright on the back and I will try and get them on before Thursday.


Now for the Quiz ...

Where in Thornton Am I?





















Click photo to enlarge

Answers here as usual folks

A

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, If you come across any with me on them you have my permission to show my image . I was there from 1936 until 1940 , so that should narrow it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James

    Unfortunately it is the person who took the photograph who has to give permission. In this case this is the Evening Gazette and the Scholastic Souvenir Company Ltd.

    The pics I have are mainly taken in the 1950's. If anyone has any earlier ones ..especialy 1932 - 1942ish .. I would love to see if my late dad is on any of them. I don't have any pictures of him as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there was recent case before the Court of Human Rights were a man in France re-produced a "Street Scene" Photo in which he appeared from a Magazine.
    The ruling was that unless you waived your rights or a fee was paid, you are part owner dont know if this could apply in this case? Probably not retrospective

    Ps the one on the gallery of the Baines Class i sent was from 1936/1937.
    pos; 1937 /38 of the class was

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, The undated photo was earlier than 1930s, i was there in 1936 and there were no trees in that area, that was the girls play ground School Rd entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James

    I was just guessing going on the clothing but I think you're right as have come across a newspaper article which says it is turn of the century. It's a very clear photo for that time as I've made it smaller for the site. Thanks for letting me know I will change the date.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM