We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 9 June 2009

Thornton Gala ...

It's Thornton Gala this Saturday and I do hope that the weather holds out for them unlike Poulton Gala last week. The procession starts at King George's and as far as I'm aware ends up back there. Russ has volunteered to be a Marshall for the procession helping to block off the roads so he'll be feeling all important in his high vis vest.

I do wish it had more support as it seems to be getting less and less as the years go by. It was still a big day when I was a girl but (as we were discussing last night) that was before PC's, mobile phones, gaming consoles and regular trips to Theme Parks. When my late Dad was a boy his Dad used to save up all year for Thornton Gala to give the kids a great day out. They'd take a picnik and spend all day and it was looked forward to till the next year. Unless I have been looking in the wrong places I do think it could have been advertised a bit more. They did have a website but that has dissapeared and I think it would have been good to have been able to see the procession route and to know what times things were happening online as that's how most people find things out nowadays.

I'll definately be out watching and hope it's a good show.


Now for the Quiz

The answer to this weeks Quiz is ...




















The Church of the Nazarene on the corner of Lesley Avenue and Trunnah Road (almost opposite Spar).

To be honest until this was pointed out to me as a Church I thought it was a Scout hut.

In 1st place .. Andy
In 2nd place .. Mike

I'm in the process of putting some more documents onto the site but will be able to tell you more on Thursday

A

12 comments:

  1. I used to get a ringside view of the gala from my attic flat window on Victoria Road back in the old days. This also had the added advantage that no grown men dressed in nappies would shove buckets of change under my nose and rattle them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian the later part, of the above post has just sent a chill dovn my spine, not to mention putting a mental picture in my head that i find difficult to deal with lol. if memory serves me there used to be a group of people calling themselves dad,s army and they were based in the above building on lesley ave they always attended the gala prosesion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    Those blokes in big nappies haven't done much for my own psychological makeup over the years either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now i know i need Spec Save I pass that building 5 or 6 times a day,

    I think Micheal must know know a few of my old girl friends if he remembers the Home Guard,
    does he remember Reily's coal merchant? Last house on Lesley,
    I Lived at No 19 Hargate until 1936, went out with a girl who lived there in the 40s, worked for Cliff Morris until 1848,

    ReplyDelete
  5. james when i say the home guard i am talking about the kid,s one that used to be there in the 70,s i am getting on a little but not that old lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Micheal,you mean the Army Cadets,
    Reily's coal merchants would be Ross's by that time, Ronnie Ross married Elsie Reily and took over the business,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will watch out for the Nappy Boys and goose one just for you on Saturday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James

    Like I said I never noticed it either until someone contacted me to say I had missed it off the site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi H.H., I did'nt realise it was so posh,
    From the side it looks like a Nissan Hut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. james

    no not the army cadets, they were a strange bunch who used to dress up in the old army uniform just as the home guard wore in the day. i have no idea what the point was with them other than comedy value {sorry } they had wooden guns and always marched in the gala. i will try to find out more on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok below is a copy from the citizen paper i just found it on the net.

    Producers seek Thornton Dad's Army kids

    11:40am Sunday 6th July 2008

    comment Comments (0) Have your say »
    By Citizen reporter »


    Producers of a TV show celebrating the 40th anniversary of Dad’s Army are trying to trace some Thornton youngsters who formed a group based on the show.

    The producers are looking for people involved in Thornton Dad’s Army, which they believe was a group of children put together by Seamus McGuiness.

    All the youngsters were from schools in and around Thornton, and they appeared on Blue Peter on November 26, 1970.

    If anybody was in the group, or has information about the group, they are asked to contact dainfo@hotsaucetv.co.uk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Away on my travels in the 70s, will ask some of my old mates if they can throw any light on the subject

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM