We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 16 June 2009

Ellen Harrison perhaps ...

I would just like to do a celebratory circuit of this blog as I have finally finished typing the Thornton Marsh Act. That has been a long slog and at times I wish I'd paid the £46 to get copies.

I've been adding some extra information to the existing pages of the site today. It's amazing how when you go back a few months later you've learned so much in the mean time. I've added some information on the Hamlet of Holmes and a little bit on Poolfoot Farm and am working my way through bit by bit.

I've also added a new pic into the Gallery of Thornton Station which is one that I have seen before but a good shot anyway.


Now for the Quiz

I decided to make it a bit harder this week as you've been getting them so quickly .. think I went a bit too hard with this one though. I must admit that a nice meal at the Thornton Lodge in the sun on Sunday afternoon did influence my decision of location ever so slightly.

The answer to this weeks quiz was ...



























Outside Poolside Cottage at Skippool

As Mike guessed it was Skippool I think that's enough to put him in first place and the only reply that was near.

In 1901 the occupants of Poolside Cottage were Peter and Ellen Harrison so perhaps the EH is Ellen. Interestingly Peter is listed as a mariner of the 'Flat Alice Linda' barge and with the Harrison surname and nautical theme he could be a descendant of Thomas Harrison who wrote from the slave ship in 1752. Alternatively somebody might have found a nice engraved stone at a car boot and stuck it in their wall :-D

A

3 comments:

  1. Melanie, i have never seen that shot of thornton station before, and now i see the full photo {quiz} i remember where i saw that crest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the photo was taken before the station was moved to it present location, note the signalbox (always on the west side of the tracks), and the signalmans house behind the east side platform.and no Emma Lindops Veg stall.
    re "Were am I" the Thornton Cricket Clubs Pitch is behind that wall, though it was Skippool creek but the sign post put me off,(no signposts when i lived down there, you just followed your nose)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like my dad's car in the background.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM