We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 23 June 2009

The Sunday Quiz ...

I've just added a new page on the site called Knights, Noblemen and Landowners .. a very grand title indeed. I'm trying to add a bit of background information to the names which keep cropping up in the records relating to Thornton. I started a while back but got so bogged down with dates and names I decided to leave it for a bit (roughly translated as I gave up). I only have the main page up at the mo but hope to have some info linked to Roger de Poitou by tomorrow.

I'm also getting ready for another visit to the Records Office. I was hoping to go this week but need to go through my list again to check the records I want to look at. If I get it done I will go on Thursday. I'm torn between looking at the things which interest me (fields and boundaries) and putting interesting things on the site for those of you who have a life. A 50/50 split seems fair to me.


Now for the Quiz

The answer to this weeks quiz is ...




















As I forget to take a wider shot you'll have to take my word on this.

The Old Council Offices near Four Lanes End.

In 1st place .. Mike
In 2nd place .. Andy (only minutes later)
In 3rd place .. Brian
In 4th place .. Brenda

Just for fun

Have added another post called the Four Word Story.

6 comments:

  1. I thought that was it(Mad Mad Mad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't win?! That'll teach me for watching Last of the Summer Wine instead of doing my internet rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally Melanie, as far as I'm aware Earl Tostig was killed on September 25th 1066 at the Battle of Stamford Bridge by his brother King Harold, so it's unlikey that he held Amounderness in 1086.

    Presumably Roger de Poictou still owned most of it (and in particular the Thornton bit, of course) at that date, because when he founded the priory of St. Mary in Lancaster in 1094,he endowed it with – ‘Pulton in Agmundernesia, and whatsoever belonged to it, and the church, with one carucate of land, and all other things belonging to it.’”

    Roger (just to continue the theme here a bit) later fell out with William the Conqueror and was banished from Britain.

    Actually, come to think of it, most of the aristocracy fell out with William the Conqueror. Apparently when he died William's body was left on the floor to putrify for several weeks and when they came to stick it in the coffin it was so swollen and manky that it burst.

    Something to think about when your having your tea tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian

    Thanks for the gorey information .. urgh. I got the Earl Tostig bit from the Domesday book entry. I have a copy of it (or a copy of a copy of it)from the National Archives (in Latin of course)which I can only show if I pay £46 and then it has to have watermarks and be small enough to be of no use to copy so I thought I wouldn't bother!! I don't know if this is referring to Earl Tostig the second but it states that he has amounderness in 1086. I ordered the translation and then didn't photocopy it .. derrr. There is also a record of Earl Tostig administering Lancaster in 1081 .. perhaps Roger didn't lose the lands but lost his powers instead?

    The priory and castle bit confused me too but when I was researching there were so many different accounts and dates of what happened it's really confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,

    I suspect the lands were still in the possession of Tostig (because he had held them before he got his head chopped off in 1066) -- or at least his estate -- when the Domesday Book was drawn up...although there might also have been another Earl Tostig on the scene by then. That's why I try to steer clear of geneological lists. Michelle'd probably know all this stuff. Me...I'm happier with holes in the ground. They're just as confusing in many respects but there's nothing written down anywhere to contradict my speculations...so it's always much easier to get away with sounding impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian

    I've been looking at Earl Tostig this afternoon and have decided to save him for later (read given up again). Have started on Huck (de Singleton) instead .. at least I have proper accounts for him - ish.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM