We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 31 May 2009

Underbank Road, Thornton

Firstly what a fabulous weekend we are having ! Can't you just smell all those bbq's .. lots of 'pink' people around Thornton tomorrow I think. I'm stuck at home as Russ is off doing his power kiting at South Shore .. it's quite windy today and am expecting to hear the sea rescue helicopter go over at any moment.

I've been to Fleetwood Library this week looking at the maps and trying to locate the photo I posted on the site which has Underbank Road on the back. I looked at all the maps and can't place that layout of buildings at all. One thing I did spot is that Underbank Road on the 1912 OS map (below) turns at the lane towards Ramper Pot and continues on as Stanah Road unlike today. It changes on the 1939 map to what we know today.



















Click on picture to enlarge.

Brian has also pointed out that this area could be the site of the original Saxon Village of Stanah on his forum here. That would be interesting especially as it seems to have remained virtually untouched.

I've now added the link from the website to the Act for the Enclosure of Thornton Marsh although I still haven't finished typing it all out yet. I have a feeling its going to take some time so thought I would add it on in the meantime.


Now for the Quiz ...

Solve the crossword and then rearrange the highlighted letters to spell out the answer to Where in Thornton am I ?

All the answers you need can be found on the website.

If you click on the image to enlarge it first you can then save and print it out to make it easier.




















** Sorry I missed 7 down off .. **

7 down. Its a Hall, a Hill and a Road. (6)

This week it is the first person with the answer to Where in Thornton am I? and with the most correct answers filled in (just so you don’t just do the ones with the highlighted squares .. not that you would).

Email your answer here along with the answers to the crossword.


Just for fun...

What is your Viking name

I'm Melkorka Stronghorse and a bit of a wuss aparently :-o

A

11 comments:

  1. My Viking name is Flóki Madhound,Whot more can i say.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi all my viking name is HUNDI THICKJAW APPARENTLY THE BUGGERS DONT WANT ME ON THE BOAT !!!! but they`ll let me on if theres no bugger left to row !!!! charming . regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...Brúni Dogchaser. Not sure why. I prefer cats. Not that it matters because apparently the other Vikings would think I was weird and snobbish. I strongly suspect they'd be right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great names .. they'd let me on the boat but only if they needed balast!

    I've had a correct answer for the quiz by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi folks late again, been away over the weekend what a cracker weather wise. crosswords have never been my thing strange because my dad was a champion crossword compiler and solver in his day. i will give it a go when i get a second later on today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont do Crosswords, I get more than my share of the Camp commandant,(the wife),and whats all this about a boat?I had to swim here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like i may be with james on this one Melanie, crosswords not my strong point and my printer is on the blink so it makes it harder. anyway Brian,s sure to win this one lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted a Thank You To H.H for her marathon efort in typing up the Thornton Marsh document,
    But it seems to have got lost somewere in space?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi James

    If you click on the link (next) at the bottom of the Document 'The Enclosure of Thornton Marsh' it should open a new window. I'm only up to page 788 at the moment but am doing abit more each day.

    Hope its working .. it is for me. Can you let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,HH, Yes the Link works, I shall put the dog out and have a good read,thanks.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM