We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 28 May 2009

Thornton Marsh and all those f 's ...

My fingers are worn down to stumps at the moment typing up the Act to enable the enclosing of Thornton Marsh .. all 26 pages of it.

I have become very good at typing 'f' inftead of 's' as you can poffibly fee and am going to finifh this poft in the fpirit of all things Olden. I haven't managed to finifh typing it all out yet (actually am only half way through) but the firft page is on the fite under Documents which will eventually link to the reft.

I wafn't sure whether to include it or not as it is an extremely long and rambling Legal Document but I decided to go ahead .. even if juft to help all you infomniacs out there. It did however make a big change to the future of Thornton and fome of the other more interefting Documents which I hope to add later tie in to it. One being a hand written letter from John Silcock on his appointment as Surveyor of the roads on Thornton Marfh (c1800) as to whether they are fit to become 'King's Highway'. Gofh I'm really fpoiling you .. you'll be cancelling your Sky fubfcription next!

I've alfo added another photo in the Gallery fhowing Burn Naze Station. As foon as I've finifhed typing the above I am going to fpend fome time adding more info to the Gallery for the photo's I already have before I add any more.

Am going out with the dog now as there's a ftrange bright light in the fky.

A

6 comments:

  1. Hi H.H,The ftrange bright light must be Hanover
    George, fmiling down on you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Founds like Jonafon Woff haf taken over the board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James

    I had to google that as I thought he was a vaudeville act! Blonde moment.

    From what I can gather the 'f' was put in to denote the pronunciation of the 's' sound in the words. Am not quite sure exactly how it works but its surprisingly easy to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I don't know what to do .. have been to the Library today and have found that they have a copy of the enclosure of Thornton Marsh from 1901. It doesn't have the 'f's' in and some of the spelling is more modern eg 'Politic' instead of 'Politick' in the original. Do I continue typing out the original or cheat and just post the pictures of the later version ?

    Think I know the answer .. better get back typing. Might add the later version as an option as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re; Hanover George, His German accent made his S's sound like F's so not to question the monarch that how it was spelt on legal documents.
    I like Brians comment best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James

    Yes I think he's hit the nail on the head there :-)

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM