We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 21 May 2009

Thornton Hall ...

I've had a very productive day today despite coming home to find my internet explorer down .. thank goodness for Firefox.

I've been to Fleetwood Library today and have scanned some more photo's for the site. I haven't had chance to put them on yet but will try and get a couple on tonight. I'll add to this post later to let you know what and where they are.

Also the nice lady at the Library had pulled out a plan of Thornton for me which is brilliant. Some kind soul has transcribed a quarter of the Tithe Map of 1839 labelling all the fields and who owned them. It is the section covering Holmes (technically - sort of top lefty Thornton) and the surrounding areas but saves a heck of a lot of work for me. Again I need to do some sorting out before the pics go on the site.

I'm also thrilled to have been contacted by a direct descendant of TB Silcock who had Thornton Hall and who is mentioned in the memories section of the site. He thinks he may have some old photos and documents which he is willing to let me have. I have searched and failed to find anything regarding the Hall other than obscure leases for fields so am hoping they can be found.

I've had such a good day if it was lottery night I'd buy a ticket !

Update - Have added 'Motor Train - Burn Naze Halt' and 'Hawthorne Road - Thornton' to the Gallery on the site.

A

10 comments:

  1. Glad you have had a productive day Melanie, i look forward to the pic,s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike

    Thanks and have added the pics on now. I have more to go on but don't want to use it all at once :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sent an e-Mail re; Silcocks,now COMMENT is working!!!
    I always said there was a Boggat round every corner in Little Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE Hawthorn Cottage, I remember when you could only get so far down Hawthorn Rd,Just past the cottages (App were Whitethorne is now,there was a gate, then it was fields all the way to Carlton.
    The cottages a the bottom of Lambs Hill had tin roofs, Seem to remember the Roscall Family lived in one of them
    God I'm getting old.Eik

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I've had such a good day if it was lottery night I'd buy a ticket !"

    And completely ruin it...

    p.s. Got that photograph of Hawthorne Road on my living room wall, what with me having lived on Beechwood Drive during my youth and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of the cottages is one I have seen before in some local books but thought I would stick it on anyway. I saw a really great one of an old lady with a spinning wheel but never wrote down the reference and am kicking myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what BT were doing with my internet but it has been going really slow lately and when it went off this afternoon it came back realy realy fast broadband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Re the names of the 2 relatives of TB Silcock who were asking for Info; on the Poulton Web site, they are a lady in Australia called Young (Related to Richard Silcocks wife Mary?)
    and a gentleman from the Lake district area called Piers Watson, I have their e-Mail addresses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm the "lady" living in Australia, but born at Preston. My grandmother was Annie BUTLER (b.1876 at P-le-Fylde dau of Nicholas BUTLER and Agnes EASTHAM), and was a second cousin of Thomas Butler SILCOCK.

    Annie's grand-father Thomas BUTLER (b.1807 at "Breedy Butts", Poulton) was the brother of Rebecca BUTLER (b.1809) who married Thomas SILCOCK in 1846. Thomas and Rebecca SILCOCK had one son Richard (b.1848) who in 1873 married his cousin Mary Alice BUTLER (dau of Nicholas, the older brother of Thomas and Rebecca).

    Richard and Mary Alice SILCOCK had six children that I know of - Thomas Butler, John J., Janet Mary, Alice Edith, William Arnold, and Annie Rebecca?

    I was in contact with Piers Watson, some years ago, but have lost contact since.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM