We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 17 May 2009

Fleetwood Road, Thornton

I've been sent two old photos of Fleetwood Road which I've added to the Gallery. I've put them in together as they are the same scene at different times. The building closest to the Chapel (Highfield 1903) seems to have a shop on one side where there is now a house. If anybody knows what it was I'd like to know.

I also found the following recently ...

In 1739 the king leased to John Wilkinson the marshes called Thornton Marsh, Holme Marsh, Stanah Marsh, Trunnah Marsh and Haddle Moss for thirty-one years ;

So does anyone have any ideas where Haddle Moss was .. I've never heard of it. Is it just me or does John Wilkinson sound like a bit of a chancer leasing cheap land.


Now for the Quiz

Due to the weather I've used a photo I had in stock

Where in Thornton am I? ...




















Answers here as usual folks ...


Here's an extra clue ...
















A


A

11 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, just stuck my best guess in for what it,s worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike

    And it is a correct one. That was quick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you, almost 50yrs in this town has to count for something. i say 50 yrs that is apart from a few short years in fleetwood that were very enjoyable i must say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Photo:the only place i can think of is it was taken from the road oposite what is now the car park opposite Seniors Chip Shop.I'm Probably Miles out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James

    The photo on the site was taken from near (just past)the junction of Dovedale Ave and Fleetwood Road North.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right road wrong spot, I had a feeling the white building in the right hand side on the corner was the old COOP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie,

    Haddle Moss (or Addle Moss as it's sometimes refered to) according to Michelle (who knows about these things) was apparently underneath the Merlin Road area, between the duck pond on Victoria Road to the north, Anchorsholme Lane to the south, North Drive to the west and Morrisons to the east...roughly...apparently...I'm taking her word for it because it's more than my life's worth not to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brian

    Thanks Michelle. Even though its in enemy territory (as for the site I'm sticking to Thornton)now I know for reference ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andy

    Thanks for the guess but no sorry. Couldn't reply as you didn't leave an email.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've added and extra photo clue to the main post .. answer tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that narrows it down to a place with a chimney.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM