We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Tuesday 26 May 2009

The Sunday Quiz ...

Firstly tonight a bit of a rant.

I hate it when you see an old shop that has been there for years and you get some conglomerate opening up across the road and offering what ever the old shop sells at half price to put them out of business .. you then end up with some faceless one stop shop which sells a bit of everything and not very much of anything. Now I look forward to my Thornton Community News magazine each month and I think they do a really good job. Now it seems somebody has come along and decided they can do it better (am not going to print the name as don't want to advertise them). There is a website with the magazine which on its homepage states it provides Thornton community news (naughty) and also that they pay their distributors and allow leaflets to go in the magazine .. something I know TCN are not able to do at the moment, so another dig. The reason it came to my attention is their monthly quiz 'Where am I in Thornton?' .. very original - get your own ideas buddy! In my opinion there isn't room for 2 community magazines in Thornton and I personally will be sticking with the original and best Thornton Community News and putting the other straight in the recycling bin. Rant over.

I feel better now!


Now for the Quiz

The answer to this weeks Where in Thornton Am I Quiz is ...












The railway crossing at New Lane (off School Road)

In 1st place .. Brian
In 2nd place .. James
In 3rd place .. Mike
In 4th place .. Brenda

And the prize for this weeks quiz is that you get to enter for free again next week :-)

I've also added another photo to the website in the Gallery labelled Underbank Road, Thornton. It isn't dated and to me it looks like the junction where Raikes Road meets Underbank Road with Underbank going off round the corner to the right but I may be wrong.

A

17 comments:

  1. "It looks like the junction where Raikes Road meets Underbank Road..."

    Too many buildings.It looks more like the entrance to Underbank Farm to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian

    I'm scratching my head over this one .. I've been on the birdseye and can't seem to find buildings in the right place. I'll have a look at Underbank Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie,

    It might actually be Stanah Farm...I can never remember the name of the actual buildings. I'm sure James'll know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian

    I've looked on the map now and some older ones and can't seem to place the buildings in the photo which are straight ahead and almost end on. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think I've scared everyone off with me rant ?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah...everyone seems to have vanished. I've hardly had anyone into my site for the past few days. Must be all this sunshine confusing people. They've probably gone shopping and then couldn't find their way home again because of the bright light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the Mag; can't place the photo, Not the junction of Raikes/ underbank would be fields either side and a victorian house (known as miss Lords,in the "wedge of the junction, There was a coble stone cottage opposite on the left with a tin roof (another rose cottage)now demolitished, My wife and her family lived there in 1946
    Not Stannah hill farm,the house could be, but the farm buildings would be directly opposite,
    and there are no houses on the corner,and a field before you get Silcocks cottages. dos'nt look like underbank to me????

    ReplyDelete
  8. just to add on the lack of folk on the forums and sites, it,s always the same at this time of year , we are all outside in the garden topping up our tans lol. also i have no idea on the underbank road pic , as james said maybe it,s not underbank do you have 100% conformation Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pic has Underbank Road, Thornton typed on the back and the name of a gentleman now deceased as copyright holder. The copyright was donated to the library after his death so not nicking (just in case). I think the houses in the distance would possibly still remain if the older buildings are gone. Eyes peeled everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. to comment on the thornton mag, it,s just landed on the door mat and after a quick look it went in the bin. and the where an i now comp was rubbish. i am going to ask that it not be delivered here again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all for newer and better things especially when it comes to Thornton but "in my own personal opinion" this is just an imitation which instead of standing on it's own merit is trying to imitate and 'outdo' the competition. TCN is a magazine produced for the people of Thornton solely, by the people of Thornton and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never mind the new one is full of add,s for fleetwood, and i don,t think they have a free community mag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mike

    They do Thornton, Fleetwood, Cleveleys, Bispham, Poulton and Over Wyre.

    ReplyDelete
  14. RE:Photo, Could be Woodhouse Rd,looking east towards Thornton Hall Farm, if you take away the farm and the old buildings, the large house in the background could be No1&2 Sunnybank,
    Carn't place it anywere on Underbank or Raikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi James

    Have had a look at Woodhouse and unfortunately the houses don't look right. Thats also quite a bend in the road on the photo and Woodhouse doesn't have a big bend. This ones got me stumped a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Think I need a trip to the Library to have a proper scan of the old maps. Don't think it's Underbank 'as we know it' but it could be another Underbank. On the 1912 OS map the lane that leads off Underbank to Ramper Pot is named Underbank Road too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There used to be the shell of a house on the right. as you approached the river in the corner, that was red brick and more modern, the one on the photo would have to be on the left on the hill.The only other "Farm" A Duck farm a colection of hen cabins,(another distant relative) further down Underbank just before you got to Miss Lords House on the junction

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM