We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 24 May 2009

Feoffment of Thornton - 1461 ...

Well what a beautiful day it has been today .. it surely can't be a bank holiday! We've been out and about with the dog but I won't say where as I think that might make the quiz just a bit too easy. Whilst I was rooting around in the undergrowth somebody actually noted my numberplate .. didn't think I looked like a hooligan (must be the new nose piercing which if anyone tells you doesn't hurt .. they are lying).

I've had some permissions to reproduce through from the Records Office but with a bit of a twist. There are about 100 records which are almost entirely about Thornton and they turn out not to be owned by the Records Office but privately. They are having to write for permission so am having to hold back on some of the records.

I have added a new section on the website called 'Documents' which now contains:

'Feoffment of Thornton-le-Fylde - 1461' which is in latin but I have included a translation (I made that sound like I'd translated it didn't I). It doesn't contain a lot of information but is a great document none the less.

'Lease for Thornton Hall - 1723/4' which is in legal speak and is quite tough going but worth having a look.

I've decided to set up another website which is just to host some of the photos of the documents as even though the main site (http://www.thornton.btik.com/) has great features I am limited to the number of photos I can have and the size has to be quite small too. The Lease was 15 photos on it's own. Any links to the other site will open in a new window to avoid confusion.

I've also added a new pic 'Farm Workers and Marsh Mill' in the Gallery section as well. Haven't I been a busy bee.


Now for the Quiz

Where in Thornton am I? ...



















Answers here as usual folks ...

A

8 comments:

  1. I've had a correct entry already .. should have fuzzed it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,

    That would have helped. I always recognise Thornton more clearly through an alcoholic haze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Molyneux is an old Poulton name.Had a wet Fish Shop on the Breck for many years,I went to Baines Grammar with one of the sons.
    I see the name Balderstone mentioned another old Poulton Name.

    Theres also a mention of the Swarbricks and Yours (And my distant relative the Sterizikers in the 2nd document,I think my forefathers must have had a bike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James

    I was pleased to see a Sturzaker too .. I'm also related to the Gardners as well .. my lot all originally from over the water (Wyre that is).

    ReplyDelete
  5. what,s going on , i have just awoken from a 24hr coma lol. heavy day yesterday. as for where you are Melanie i may be in trouble with this one i dont get round that part of town much wherever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie,Re Gardners, would that be the Shire
    Breeders? My late son in Law was related to a Gardner family from Ower dyke, they farmed in Hambleton many years ago,I'm related to him by marrage through his uncle,
    we're a funny lot round here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi James

    To be hinest I'm not sure .. I don't think my lot were that far up the ladder. Mostly agricultural labourers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had 2 more correct answers to the quiz by the way.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM