We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 20 September 2009

A Beautiful Thornton Day ...

Evening All. It was a red sky this morning so was expecting it to be a less than perfect day but it has been glorious. We went to the Nature Reserve behind the tip with the dog which was really nice but the smell was a bit ripe. Well worth a visit if you are of the dog walking fraternity.

I've been contacted by a gentleman whose family farmed at Holmes Farm in Thornton who may have some old photos to send me. I hope he can dig them up as they would be great for the site. Going off subject does anybody know the name of the building which stands right opposite the entrance to Holmes Rd on Fleetwood Rd? I think its empty at the mo but looks like it might have been a farm or more likely some kind of work place ie. a wood yard or similar. Its shown on the 1892 map and a building is shown there on the 1841 map to but isn't the same footprint. It also has a well. It intrigues me so I hope you can help.


Now for the Quiz ...

Where in Thornton Am I ?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Answers here as usual
or email here


A

11 comments:

  1. hi melanie i know the place you are talking about on fleetwood road but cant help any further i am afraid . i remember it when it was in a little better condition just not what it was used for.
    as for the quiz i have you now, my first go was just a tester lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I seem to remember a man who lived in a cottage on the other side of the lines were Burnaze station now stands(theres a photo in the Gallery) saying some thing about working with horses on a farm in that area,you can probably find the story quicker than I,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I forgot to post .. the house opposite Holmes Rd is Trunnah Farm. I will go and have a look on the census to see if I can find out some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi H.H. Off topic, Re; Woodland Ave; photo caption. The two houses are still there,usually There's a gaggle of old Jaguars parked outside the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James

    I couldn't recognise them when I went and looked .. I'll have to go and have another look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. melanie they are the first two houses past the cobble stone wall entering woodlands from the lawsons road end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike

    I have only driven past it and it's not the easiest place to look. Unfortunately Tinka doesn't go that far now (or me for that matter!)or I would look on a dog walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its my wedding anniversary today (he'd have been out now!) so will post the quiz results tomorrow.

    Get your last guesses in now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy anniversary melanie and russ don,t drink to much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better late than never. HAPPY ANIVERSARY To you both.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM