We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 30 August 2009

Thornton Map 1845 ...

Evening All ... I have finally managed to get the Thornton map on the site at last. I tried to fit it all back together but no matter what I tried it wouldn't fit so have gone for the section option. I'm not happy at all by the quality of my pictures but have decided to put it on anyway until I can come up with a different solution.

I've also added a picture of John Croft who held some of the first Methodist meetings in Thornton in his kitchen. He apparently lived in The Little Cottage on Fleetwood Rd opposite the junction with Trunnah Rd. Thanks to Mike P for giving permission to use the photo.

Apologies for the short post tonight but I was at a party yesterday and am feeling a bit worse for wear.


Now for the Quiz ...

Where in Thornton Am I ?





















Answers here as usual
or email here

A

9 comments:

  1. you have time to party!, it,s becoming clear to me that your heart just is not into this site lol.
    as always i jest hope you had fun melanie after all that,s what it,s all about. as for this weekends quiz i have a feeling i know that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's terrible all this partying once a year! I din't actually drink much but I was cooking so it set my back off. I'm going to go out one day this week and get a few shots for the quiz lined up .. I'm always rushing somewhere on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi H.H., Re John Croft,I think my son in law knows a desendant of his,he still lives in the area.I,ll try to get more info,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Further to John Croft, My son in Law works with a Harry Croft aged around 60, he is John Crofts Grandson or Great Grandson, says his Grandfather /Great Grandfather owned the Fleetwood Rd Methodist Church Land

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, CPS (Thornton power station is to be demolished by explosion on Sunday 6 sept; at 11 am.

    The Demolition of the 91 metre chimney is provisionally scheduled for Sunday 1st November.
    Let you know when i hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addition to TPS demolition,Just been told spectators will be allowed on Poolfoot field.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be there .. I'll be the tall slim blond 20 something ;-)

    I'd laugh if there was only us lot there .. unmasked one and all !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm easly recognised,I'm the man standing at the bottom of the stairs in the recent Marks and Spencer TV advert.Or should we each carry a rose so we can recognise each other.?

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM