We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Thursday 20 August 2009

Pesky Virus !!

Apologies for not posting much over the last week but I have had (could still have) a virus on my computer. I think I have now got rid of it but it has messed up my settings and taken some files with it which are now also causing problems.

Everything I have tried to go on has 'encountered a problem and had to close' .. especially the tinternet which is very annoying. My anti-nasty programs have not been updating and being disabled but I have managed to fix that now .. with a lot of uninstalling and re-booting I might add. Have almost redone the whole pc now (whilst mumbling obscenities under my breath).

I've decided I'm going to invent something called 'La Boom' which when a virus is found on your pc backtracks back along the mysterious interhighway to the computer which created it and blows the ******* (fill in as appropriate) up !!!!

Fingers crossed I'll be back on Sunday night with the Quiz.

9 comments:

  1. hi Melanie, not good those virus things, i have had two the wiped out the hard drive all together. glad to see your on top of it now. i was starting to think you had emigrated lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back H.H.,I thought you'd got lost in space,Was it the Swine Flu Virus?
    "Now heres a funny thing"(who's catch phrase was that)?
    Maybe this will cheer you up,
    The Big Bad Wolf said" I'll Huff and I'll Puff and blow your house down" The little pig said"Go away (or words to that effect )Before I sneeze on you"
    The Big bad Wolf left a a rate of knots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike

    I broke out in a sweat when I read that .. too much information to lose on here !

    Hi James

    Very good! Today my Outlook is playing up so another problem to solve. Also when a new page loads it loads only half of the screen. Off to google as nothing I've tried has worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all..

    I am in the process of fixing a friends PC with "43" Trojan viruses and 2 worm viruses...!!! So 1 or 2 viruses is no prob to me lol.. I can recommend a gr8 Virus checker for free and it updates always "AVG_Free"..

    John D-A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John

    I had 'backdoor.bot' which infected 5028 files and then changes it's name. Its been tough getting rid of it. Ended up running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. I used to have AVG but for some reason it stopped updating so I changed to 'Avast!' .. another free one which is great as it scans in real time and lets you know when a website is dodgy. I also have Advanced System Care. Belt and braces and all.

    My new problem (well more of an anooyance) is that when I open a new window it only covers half the screen from top to bottom. Can't stop it as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi HH
    That screen thing can be sorted,goto Tools on top of IE and "Internet options"/"Advanced" and Restore settings. That should do it.

    cheers

    John D-A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John

    I've tried that. I use BT Yahoo Browser. I've also tried opening up a new window .. closing the original and then holding down 'Ctrl' as I close the funny one but it hasn't worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie,

    The trick is to find the right virus killer. (i.e. the one written by the people who actually created the virus in order to get you to buy their virus killer in the first place.)

    John,

    What happened to you last night? We had free beer and pizza at the meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi H.H., Try Control Panel.Click on Performance and Maintenance, Click on Systems Restore (Top 0f Page Left hand side) go back a week or so might fix it, you can always restore to previous settings if it dos'nt work. I save all my important stuff on Disc or memory sticks
    also have a full set of recovery discs.
    been caught out before,

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM