We have Moved

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

Please visit the Thornton Through Time Forum for up to date information.



Sunday 23 August 2009

Interesting Developments ...

Evening All ... I am still having a few problems but fingers crossed I'm back online. I've added a page on the website today about the Knife and Dagger (finally I hear you say).

From now on I'm going to post the quiz on a Sunday and then give the results and a further post on Thursday. I'll post an extra picture/clue to the quiz on Tuesday to give everyone a chance.

Firstly our very own Andy has found somebody who collects local history items and has very kindly leant them to me to scan and photocopy (I am now unmasked). The majority are not of Thornton but very interesting non the less. I'm going to copy them and then put a section on the site along the lines of further afield. There are some fantastic original plans for a bridge across the Wyre at Garstang at somewhere called Cleveley Mill in Nether Wyresdale. I got excited for a minute thinking we'd discovered a new Mill! I'll give you some more details when I've copied them.

I've had a piece go in the Thornton Community News this week asking for more information although unfortunately they missed the website address off. Hopefully it will lead to lots of new information coming up. I've already been contacted by a gentleman who is an architectural historian and has compiled a dossier on buildings in Thornton which is extremely interesting to find out. Its nice to know that there are people out there recording things for future generations. His work has meant the Sacred Heart Church is now listed which is the first listing in Thornton for 23 years.


Now for the Quiz ...

Where in Thornton Am ?




















Answers here as usual
or email here

There are some really good aerial photos of Thornton and further afield on Brians Forum which are well worth a look.

A

3 comments:

  1. hi melanie , i hadnt noticed the area was cleveley mill . my lad and i fish at cleveley bridge , and right opposite theres cleveley mere . its a couple of miles north of garstang on the A6 . there used to be a little chef thats now a chippy or restaraunt just past garstang . if you leave the right turn going north where the little chef used to be , about half a mile past on the right it takes you into the village of (oops sorry i get em mixed up) scorton/forton cleveley bridge/mere/mill is down there on the right . i think from memory that cleveley mere trout fishery is marked on one of them brown boards showing you where to go once you turned off the A6 . cheers regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a little more info , when your approaching cleveley mere/bridge/mill there opposite the fishery where my lad and i fish is a large house called the mill house with quite a big pond in the garden . ive just spoken to my best mate who went to church rd primary/junior school and one of the teachers mrs roberts from church rd used to live in the mill house years ago . cheers all regards andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy

    I've set aside tomorrow and Tuesday to copy the maps and docs. I look forward to studying them more closely.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG IS CURRENTLY NOT BEING UPDATED ...

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS PLEASE VISIT THE THORNTON THROUGH TIME
FORUM